Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How can I memorize a scene in one night, by tonight!? PLEASE ANSWER!?

So I'm at a camp, and they gave me a one 1/4 page scene to memorize (I'm a girl by the way), from teh vampire diaries. And I'm taking a class with Maggie Murphy who casts for Malcom in the Middle, etc.. and I really want to make a really great impression. She already seems to sord of likes me I guess, I don't know but she was laughing (good kind of laughing) when we were doing an improve story game. And she said I was good :) But I have to memorize this tonight, and I have pretty much all of it down, except for a monologue that's about a paragraph long. How can I get that part down so it flows better. But she was the first one in my group to give me the scene, but then she gave the scene to 2 other people in my group. And I want to stand out well! Can anybody help?? NO RUDE ANSWERS PLEASE :) I'm a GIRL who just loves to act, and I want to act professionally soon :) Thanks in advance :)







Also is Maggie Murphy a big deal type of person, and have you heard of her??How can I memorize a scene in one night, by tonight!? PLEASE ANSWER!?Try associating phrases or key words with objects that you'd know will be on the stage with you. An example would be if a phrase is about fire, you might associate it with someone who has red hair. Try to memorize the key words first, over and over, until you have the gist of the recital. Then, once you have it down, keep reading over and over until you have the gist of the flow of the words.

If necessary, if you don't remember the exact words, but have the gist of your part, then just fill in your own words (ad libbing) so that the idea gets across.

Key word/phrasing association and ad libbing could work for you.

Words from the heart are easier to remember than exact words on a page, and easier to act out.



On another note, most theaters and plays have prompters, who will convey key words to help actors/actresses remember thier lines. And most video acting has cue cards or teleprompters off-screen.



You also might write the key words down on paper, with large lettering, and tape them to the stage floor just before the play/scene begins. If you can get away with it.

I've used cue cards onstage when singing a song just "learned" the night before, to help me remember the lyrics.How can I memorize a scene in one night, by tonight!? PLEASE ANSWER!?Memorize the last lines first.

Then back up a line or two. Keep backing up. You will always have the first part fresh and the last part will be the most familiar. You are always moving to what you are sure of.

Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment