Monday, January 30, 2012

I have a couple of questions concerning Chess books and Strategies?

I love to play Chess, although I haven't played competitively since early this year. I let Chess go for awhile and after a few games I lost I fell to 802 in USCF rating from my highest of 1162. Although, if I had kept practicing and not slacking off, I'm confident I could have done much better in the last few tournaments. Anyways, I used to read books for intermediate players from the McKay Chess Library. Which as far as I know is a group of people who make Chess Books :) For someone around my rating, I would say between 802 and 1162, What Chess books would you recommend for helping me to improve strategies for all three parts of the game, opening, middle and endgames.?



Also, I would like to know, I have a Winboard Chess Program for my computer. I have heard that it is good to practice against computers. Is Winboard a good program to practice against? It doesn't like point out mistakes or show arrows for moves or anything like some programs do, it's just you can the computer and I don't think it has a difficulty setting. So is it good to practice against Winboard? Will it help me improve me game? ANd just so yo don't forget the first question,



Thanks to all who answer! Stay Safe and God Bless! :)! What Chess books would you recommend for helping me to improve strategies for all three parts of the game, opening, middle and endgames?I have a couple of questions concerning Chess books and Strategies?
Hi Martin,



Well, I too went through a similar experience earlier this year. I had quintessentially given up chess for five or six years, until I got this very computer. When I got it, buying it brand new, I had to check out all the games it came with, and chess was one of them. One thing led to another and I ended up getting destroyed by Level 4/10 Chess Titans program. I instantly got back into chess, with my computer being my only rival. I rejoined a chess club I had been in around 2005, and now I'm doing great! I actually just came back from a tournament around 3:00pm.



Anyway, so point is, I was going through what you are going through now, having been out of the chess world for a while.



I've found several excellent books in my journey to chess greatness.



There's always the classics, like the infamous My System - by Aron Nimzowitsch; the all-time popular Logical Chess: Move by Move - by Irving Chernev; and Bobby Fischer's My Sixty Memorable Games (or other annotated game collections of a world champion).



My System is a book I just ordered online and received two days ago, so I haven't really had time to really get into it, but it's incredibly popular, and it says within the book that if you were to survey 100 Grandmasters, 99 of the 100 would say that they have read this book.



Irving Chernev is an immensly popular writer (or ... WAS, rather, before he died) who is authoring the book Logical Chess: Move by Move. It's highly recommended to many beginners and intermediate players.



Jeremy Silman has a plethora of books out there, all of them fantastic! The Amateur's Mind, The Complete Book of Chess Strategy, ect.







World champion games collections will help you, as will puzzle books like Susan Polgar's Chess Tactics for Champions (which I own), but they aren't quite... all - around books. They instead focus on certain aspects of chess, instead of covering a broad range of things.



My System (by Aron Nimzowitsch) is great for covering quite literally everything. I have only owned it for two days, but it's really really famous (which is WHY I bought it) and I've read many reviews.



So, really, Jeremy Silman has the best up-to-date books, and he's a famous writer (not to mention, he's an International Master). I personally think his Complete Book of Strategy is the best, but most say that his The Amateur's Mind is. Idk, but the simplest thing to do is just to go to a bookstore and find the book that appeals to you the most.



Hope I helped,

JohnI have a couple of questions concerning Chess books and Strategies?
i gave you good advice the first time...your problem is you don't like to listen to other people...thats why your a poor chess player

No comments:

Post a Comment