Thursday, January 26, 2012

Am I breaking the rules of correspondence chess by searching computer databases of games?

Just before you answer, here's how I use it.

Now a player has the right to use a computer, as long as he more or less uses it as an advanced book.

I play VERY slow correspondence chess (14 days a move).



so can I:



a) Do the database research (I don't see a problem with that one).

b) Examine games in similar positions (I don't see a problem with that one either)

c) Play both sides (So far, so good)

d) Play myself against the computer in such positions to find out what his clever response is. (I think that one may be a problem, am I right?)



possible e) Consult other people about the position? (That's a no-no too right?)



My attitude is if I have to cheat to win, I'd rather lose. Or at least draw.

Tyvm.Am I breaking the rules of correspondence chess by searching computer databases of games?
I like the Rabbi's answer.



I too have no problem with D or even F.



As long as the computer never plays your side. E is a no-no, although I can see if you have to explain to your wife or something. (Assuming your not married to a WGM.:))Am I breaking the rules of correspondence chess by searching computer databases of games?
If it bothers you, don't do it. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm still learning myself. I find computer to be a great use, but there's always the risk of temptation to use it for your own advantage. I think the safest way is to keep a database of your own games and consult them when you play. That way you will not feel guilty, because you will rely on your own experience.Am I breaking the rules of correspondence chess by searching computer databases of games?
Frankly, I think d is not cheating. If you try and see what the computer moves to, it doesn't mean that he must do the same move as the computer. Unfortunately, consulting other people about the position is a likely no-no according to the rules for joining the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment