Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chess - Is this checkmate or not?

This is driving me crazy. I was playing Chess against my computer (I was white), and I was in a position where my king was in his original place, but I had my own pieces surrounding him except for the square directly to the right of the king. There were not any black pieces near my king or anywhere close to threatening him. The computer moved their queen into the empty square next to my king. It said this was checkmate, but I could have taken the queen with my king without putting myself in check. Was it really checkmate or is my computer a cheater?Chess - Is this checkmate or not?
"fire emblam" is correct, computers dont cheat...the queen HAD protection
There is no way a computer could cheat; it follows the rules flawlessly. The most likely cause to your problem here is that you may have overlooked something. The likely cause that would make sense to me from your position (if you had a screenshot, it would be very helpful) is that the Queen was protected from another piece (perhaps a far away rook/bishop or a close by knight?).Chess - Is this checkmate or not?
You need to make sure the Queen was not defended by another piece, or that you were not in "double-check". If your King could have taken the Queen without putting himself in check, and you were not in double check, or anything like that, it must be a glitch in the software. If you could upload a picture somewhere or something like tinypic.com ( a free image hosting site) of what the position looked like, we (the answerers) could tell you for sure.
I agree with "fire emblem" you could been pay attention to only the queen and not a rook or something a rook the computer is not a self conscious living thing it just does what ever the programmer told it to do BTW computer play flawlessly.Chess - Is this checkmate or not?
This is what happened. I know it to be a fact. The queen was supported by Another piece, therefore, you could not take it with your King, because your king would be captured back immediately, and you would lose the game.
I doubt your computer is programmed to cheat. I'll bet the queen was defended by something you did not notice. Either that or you made the wrong move on the board from what your computer said several moves ago. (Second only for desk top models.)
Lord S is right about Mark being right about Fire Emblem being right. The Queen HAD to be protected from somewhere, it looks like you didn't spot where the protection was coming from. There's no reason for a software program to cheat.
If the king was close enough to the queen to take it without putting itself in check, it wasn't checkmate.
I know exactly what you mean! I was playing Space Invaders, and the aliens kept coming down even though I was obviously shooting them right in the face...darn cheating computers
mark is right about fire emblem being right. Computer's don't cheat, the queen HAD protection
of course
  • google chrome update
  • prentice hall textbooks
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment